St. Patrick’s Day Parade
March 12, 2022, 11 a.m.
Deadline to enter is March 1, 2022
General Parade Information: The purpose of the St. Patrick’s Day Children’s Parade & Shamrock Festival is to celebrate and honor Irish Heritage and Celtic Pride and entertain and delight the children of our region.
In order to meet these goals, provide for a safe environment and to meet time restraints, the Parade Committee is forced to limit the number of participants as they see fit. Please note that you are not accepted into the parade until you receive a confirmation letter or email from the parade committee. Make sure your parade participants and float are decorated in everything GREEN! NO applications will be accepted after March 1– no exceptions.
Parade Location: Parade lineup will begin at 9:00 a.m. at Jefferson Street and Albermarle Avenue, in front of Carilion Clinic. The parade will step off at 11:00 a.m. and will march through downtown. The parade will end at the intersection of Campbell and Williamson Road (after making a right onto Williamson Road).
Rules: The parade entry MUST relate to a St. Patrick’s Day Theme and/or be of a nature to entertain and amuse children, or expose them to Irish culture. Entrants comprised of children of all ages are also encouraged. NO OTHER ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED OF ANY TYPE. Entrants with children and appropriately themed floats are preferred and given precedence over all others.
Entry fees are non-refundable. Entry fees will only be returned if the applicant is not accepted for participation.
- The Parade Committee reserves the right to accept or deny any application for entry.
- The parade will go on rain or shine.
- Entries will be received and evaluated on a first come, first served basis for entrants in each category type.
- Preference will be given in parade acceptance based on quality of theme and presence of a float.
- Entries must observe all applicable rules and regulations and follow all instructions from police and the parade officials. The parade officials assume no liability for any damage to floats, vehicles, or for any injuries or damage due to negligence of parade entrants. A spacing of 20 feet between units will be enforced.
- Animals are encouraged and should be adorned in holiday costume and decoration. All animals must be leashed and kept under control at all times. Cleaning up after animals is the immediate responsibility of the handler.
- Organizations and units participating in the parade are prohibited from:
- Any presentation or representation deemed immoral by the Parade Committee
- The drinking or simulated drinking of alcohol
- Participants under the influenced of alcohol
- Firecrackers and or any other explosive device
- Throwing of any souvenirs
- Profanity on attire, signs, banners, or audio will not be permitted
- No working Firearms are allowed; only prop and costume weapons/replicas
- Stunts, vehicle burnouts or any activities that endanger the crowd or entrants are strictly forbidden and grounds for permanent ban from the parade.
- No materials of any sort (candy, toys, leaflets, etc.) are to be thrown to spectators. Parade officials and the Roanoke City Police strongly discourage distribution of items from floats or any other units due to safety concerns. Violations of this rule may result in the removal of the unit from the parade, and possible ban from participation in next year’s parade.
- The following limits apply for all entries:
- Bands limited to 10
- Car Clubs limited to 2 (total of 4 cars)
- Motorcycle Clubs limited to 2 (total of 8 riders each)
- Clown Groups limited to 4
- Horses limited to 4
- Skating/Cycling Groups limited to 3
- Majorettes limited to 3
- Dance Teams limited to 2
- Professional Cheer Teams limited to 2
- Historical Reenactor Groups limited to 3 (preference will be given to Irish or Celtic Reenactors)
- Beauty Pageant Winners limited to 4
The following is a list of those units that are NOT ACCEPTABLE as Parade entries. Note: Parade officials may make special exceptions at their discretion.
- Retail stores or businesses without a float in keeping with theme
- Undecorated Commercial Vehicles
- Political Parties
- Non-Performing/Walking Groups/Individuals
Anyone disobeying any rule will be removed from the parade immediately. Additionally, the entire unit could be removed at the discretion of Parade officials.
Your unit must look exactly as described and accepted in your application. Any unauthorized changes or additions (including additional vehicles) to your accepted application may cause disqualification of your unit at the time of the Parade and result in permanent lifetime ban for your organization.
Any walking units should be aware that the street could have some residual dirt or debris and should take any precautions necessary.
All entries with animals (horses, dogs, etc.) must be controlled and kept a minimum of 6 feet from bystanders at all times. No rider may approach or allow a bystander to touch their mount.
Parade Awards: All participants are encouraged to check in at the Farmer’s Market Information tent located in Market Square after the parade to find out which entries won awards. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Best Overall Celtic Theme.
Downtown Roanoke, Inc., 213 Market Street, Roanoke, VA 24011
540.342.2028 x 14 (phone) 540.344.1452 (Fax)